Monday, April 21, 2014

Book Review Post 1

Some of my highlights of the book I read for Professor Tang which was “The Power of One” are that it was very interesting and emotional at the same time.  The main protagonist of the book was Peekay a little boy in South Africa that was physical harmed and physical abuse but left his hometown in search for a better future. Months passed and he meets Doc, but he will meet someone that will change his life in a sport that he never thought he had the enough talent for which is Boxing. When Peekay starts ascending in this sports thanks Hoppie Groenwald thanks to the professional boxer, I feel happy and glad for him that in a young age he is becoming very successful in a country where discrimination is a major problem.

  Then during the years he became a strong opponent and he earned the respect by being a short boxer but with a lot of spirit and talent in his arms which almost anyone did not give any hopes or faith that he would defeat so many tough opponents. I liked the message and theme about this book that it does not matter the physical appearance, height, gender, race, culture, as long as you have talent, and do not give up you can make it so far in life, as well earn the respect from everyone.

    I know many may disagree with me, but I can compare in some aspects with Peekay the South African boy in the book and why? When I was in elementary 8 years ago, I had speech problems, many people did not understand what I said, and did not give hope on me. Throughout the years I worked hard in my years in middle school, and especially High School. Today I am in place called College in the University of Cal-State Northridge where not that many people are lucky to be or due to their mistakes in the past they impacted negatively their future. I still have not achieved my final goal and I know I am barely starting my journey in college, but finishing my first year in college is a big goal. If I believe on myself as well as being mentality prepared I will achieve the biggest goal in my life which is finishing and graduating from college.
In this book their was one specific quote that grabbed my attention on page 246.
 
   “ When I tell you to stay out of the way, you stay out of the way, you hear… that right cross nearly brained you, man two like that early in the next bout and we throw in the towel, you understand”, ( Courtenay 246). This quote grabbed my attention because there are so many times, our parents or coaches yell at us and we get mad but if they are screaming at us is because they do not want us to do the same mistake again. They are doing yelling for us to improve and do not make the same mistake that can impact us later on and we have to learn to listen if not we will be ignorant for the rest of our lives and not make it anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment